Every state-funded school must offer a curriculum which is balanced and broadly based and which:
- Promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils at the school and of society, and prepares pupils at the school for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life.
The school curriculum also includes the ‘hidden curriculum’, or what the children learn from the way they are treated and expected to behave. At Walwayne Court we aim to teach children how to grow into positive, responsible people, who can work and co-operate with others while developing knowledge and skills, so that they achieve their true potential.
Our school curriculum is underpinned by the values that we hold dear at our school. The curriculum is the means by which the school achieves its objective of educating children in the knowledge, skills and understanding that they need in order to lead fulfilling lives.
How our curriculum promotes community:
- We value the way in which all children are unique, and our curriculum promotes respect for the views of each individual child, as well as for people of all cultures.
- We value the spiritual and moral development of each person, as well as their intellectual and physical growth.
- We value the importance of each person in our community. We organise our curriculum so that we promote co-operation and understanding between all members of our community.
- We value the rights enjoyed by each person in our society. We respect each child in our school for who they are, and we treat them with fairness and honesty. We aim to enable each person to be successful, and we provide equal opportunities for all the children in our school.
- We value our environment, and we aim, through our curriculum, to teach respect for our world, and how we should care for it for future generations, as well as our own.
Long Term Plans
At Walwayne Court we have 3 Golden Threads that run through everything that we teach and form a key part of our school identity. They are elements that we believe are important to our children and give them the building blocks for enriching learning experiences and for a successful future.
Our Golden Threads are:
|High Quality Literature||Outdoor learning opportunities||Oracy|
At Walwayne Court we believe that enjoyment of high quality stories, picture books, poetry and non-fiction texts is fundamental to building children’s vocabulary and broadening their exposure to different experiences. We aim to include high-quality literature through all areas of the curriculum.
|We are fortunate to have wonderful school grounds and an outdoor environment and local area which provides our children with a wealth of opportunities across the curriculum. In all year groups we strive to use our outdoor space as much as possible for both curriculum and enrichment activities to engage all children.||We feel that being able to speak clearly and articulately is a life skill for all our children and we encourage the use of full sentences in speech from the children’s first days in school. We provide opportunities for our children to share their thoughts, to persuade and debate and to become confident speakers.|
If you would like further information regarding the curriculum that we follow at the school, please contact the School Office.